Sleep is a vital activity for everyone. But for many people, it can become a nightmare. Luckily there are some tricks to fall asleep in less than two minutes. How do they work?
Stress, anxiety, worries and even pure tiredness can make us take longer to fall asleep. Psychologists, doctors, and even the military have devised all kinds of tricks to fall asleep faster. The TICbeat website has compiled the ones that work best.
Sleep is the main brain activity, so you can use psychological tricks to suggest to the brain and convince you to sleep faster, or in less time. Let’s meet some of them.
How to fall asleep in 10 seconds
Falling into Morpheus’ arms in just 10 seconds is almost a feat. Very few people get it, unless they are not stressed and accumulate a lot of fatigue. But nothing is lost by trying.
The trick that we are going to explain here appears in a book by Sharon Ackerman, destined for the US Navy. Soldiers use it to sleep in situations of great stress, or in the middle of missions. Completing the exercise can take more than two minutes, but the first 10 seconds are essential. There are people who get to sleep at that time.
We must do the following:
- Relax the entire face, including the muscles inside the mouth, and the tongue
- If you are sitting, lower your shoulders to release tension and let your arms and hands fall to the sides of your body
- Exhale air and relax your chest
- Relax your legs, thighs, and calves
- Clear your mind for 10 seconds imagining a relaxing scene. If this doesn’t work, try saying the words don’t think again and again for 10 seconds.
Repeat the exercise as many times as necessary.
How to fall asleep in 60 seconds
This exercise is called 4-7-8 and mixes meditation and visualization, so it improves when you have been practicing it for a while. Although completing it costs a minute, at first it will surely take you a little more.
- Place the tip of the tongue against the palate, behind the two front teeth. You must keep it there throughout the exercise
- Let your lips part slightly to form a small hole and emit a whistling sound while exhaling through the mouth.
- Then close your lips and inhale silently through your nose. Count to 4 in your head while you take a breath
- Hold your breath for 7 seconds
- Then exhale (with a whistling sound) for 8 seconds
- Try to practice it without thinking. The more you practice, the more natural it will come out
- Repeat the exercise four times.
How to fall asleep in 2 minutes
If you agree to spend a little more time, these are some techniques recommended by sleep experts to fall asleep in two minutes.
Remember the best thing that happened to you in the day
Thinking positively helps reduce stress and, therefore, fall asleep faster. The trick is to remember things that made you feel good during the day. Serve any detail, however small: you have found a coin of one euro in the street, your football team has won, you have bought a pair of pants that suits you very well or that was very cheap, how good was the ice cream that you have eaten …
It is not necessary that they are things that have happened to you in the day, they may have happened long ago. The idea is to think of things that make you feel good, one after the other. The brain will relax and sleep will come sooner.
Visualize a quiet place
In a 2002 study by the University of Oxford, researchers found that being distracted by images helps you sleep faster. The key is to imagine relaxing places or sensations such as a waterfall, echo sounds, running water or the scent of wet moss. In this way, by having our brain occupied with sedative images, we will expel the worries that alter us and prevent us from sleeping.
It has also been proven that it works to take a warm shower before bedtime, aromatherapy, a gentle yoga routine, do not use the mobile half an hour before bedtime, or use earplugs or sleep mask.
Another option is white noise or relaxing sounds like a beach, a river, or a forest.